Monday, May 14, 2012

Fabric Rosette Broach Tutorial


Do you ever wander what to do with old scraps of fabric?  This is an awesome way to use up those old strips!

I have had a dress form in my bedroom for quite some time now and I've named her Sally.  She has been a great hat and scarf display, but I have not really decorated the front too much.  What I really want to do is have a lot of broaches and flowers in a diagonal across the front.  I have gotten some, but not that many.  I decided that I now want to add to Sally by making pins to put on her!

Supplies Needed:
3 Fabric Strips 1 1/2" width
Needle and Thread
Scissors
White Felt
Hot Glue Gun
Pin


Directions:
Step 1: Cut your fabric into strips of various lengths.  




Step 2: Tie a knot on one end of the fabric strip.


Step 3: Fold over the excess fabric next to the knot.


Step 4: Using your needle and thread, sew through the knot.



Step 5: Keeping the knot tight, begin to roll the fabric strip.


Step 6: With the rolled fabric strip, circle it around the knot.  This will begin to make the rose shape.


Step 7: With each section you add, take your needle and sew through the rolls, as seen below.  Try to sew through the previous roll.


Step 8: Continue this until you get close to the end to the fabric strip.  Be sure to sew often and it is okay if the thread shows because it will be hidden with the next layer.


Step 9: After you are finished adding each layer, take the end and fold it on the back side of the rose.


Step 10: Stitch the last piece of fabric down securely.



Step 11: Repeat the steps above with your following two fabric strips.  I used cotton for two rosettes and a silky fabric for the third.












Here are the three finished rosettes!  I love how they are different sizes.


Step 12: Glue the rosettes to the white piece of felt.  Be sure that they are close to each other.


Step 13: Cut the excess felt off, staying close to the edge of the rosettes.


Step 14: Glue your pin to the back of the felt.


Enjoy your broach!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I love reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...